quarta-feira, 7 de abril de 2010

xeyes


"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

Quite true! If you look at the major features in Unix systems you will see them implemented in the new versions of the most common operating systems in use today.

My computer background started around 82 (that is 1982) when I started using an ZX Spectrun computer. Them came some time without computers and after I started using PC's or shall we say IBM PC with the good oldie Intel 8088 CPU (not 8086). At that time DOS was the master OS then came Windows 3.0 and 3.1 for work groups. One day I was making a school work typing some text and the bloodie text processor crashed making me lost 22 pages of text. I tough that applications and OS should be more robust than this....that idea stayed in my mind! Some time later around 1996 I was attending a computer exhibition and spotted some nice little app, different in everything I had seen, graphically and interface wise... I saw "xeyes" running in a "xserver" with "twm" window manager on a Linux machine....I had found my future OS of choice! Since 1997 I am Micro!@##$$ free!!! That is 13 happy computing years!

In this blog I will document , mostly for my future reference, the Linux configurations and settings I use because it's a pain to configure everything again and again when you install a new distro.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário